Do you realize how much you are really dependent on the feedback of others?
- Are you paralysed by fears of the criticism that might come your way if you start to grow?
- Do you shy away from any kind of action that might single you out for praise?
- Do you not do what you know you want to do because of criticism you have received in the past?
- Are you stuck because you are trying to please everyone or to incorporate everyone’s feedback in your work?
These are just a few examples of how being hooked on feedback manifests itself….
The effects of this are disastrous on your ability to be successful, as in effect, it means you shy away from being the best version of yourself as a leader. How can you stretch yourself, be vulnerable and authentic, get messy, try new ideas, experiment, innovate, fail and learn from your mistakes when you are hooked to the feedback of others?
Just imagine the possibilities:
- How much more resilient you would be if you were able to reframe feedback as a valuable source of strategic information about the people giving the feedback rather than on yourself
- How liberating it would be to utilize negative feedback to learn and grow rather than be paralyzed by it
- How wonderful it would be to acknowledge positive feedback and be grateful for it rather than be hooked to it as an indicator of success
In the Play BIG! transformational leadership program for women, we look at exactly how and where dependence on praise or avoidance of criticism is hampering g your own ability to shine and grow. We also learn practical tools to incorporate feedback strategically so that it helps you and you don’t go on an emotional roller coaster with it.